Recipe & Biscuit Tutorial
There are no roadmaps for moving through grief, but there's magic to moving your hands. When I lost my mom, I desperately needed a plan. So I baked. I baked and I baked and I baked because sitting still wasn't an option. Baking gave me steps to follow. Measure. Sift. Grate. Fold. I baked the hell out of some biscuits. It was my therapy, and each session was a time to untangle, to cry and to remember, but always held the promise of a warm, doughy reward. You can bake your way through this. Here's how.
Start by opening your Grief Biscuit Kit.
- White Lily Flour - the quintessential foundation for Southern biscuits; its low protein and gluten content gives biscuits a fluffier, lighter texture
- Bonne Maman honey pot - "Bonne Maman" is French for Granny and uses the same simple techniques from kitchens generations ago
- Handheld Grater - grate away your sadness, or just the butter into the flour, which will create little pockets or buttery goodness
- Biscuit Cutter - always flour it, never twist it
- Parchment Paper - to minimize the mess for easy baking sheet clean up
- 1 stick of frozen salted, sweet cream butter (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup of buttermilk
Let's do this.
- Preheat the over to 475 degrees. Nailed it.
- Pour 2 cups of flour into a medium bowl. Put 1/2 cup of flour aside.
- Grab your handheld grater and shave 1 stick of frozen butter into bowl.
- Place mix in fridge for 10 minutes. Cold ingredients + hot oven = best fluff to the biscuit.
- Remove from fridge. Create a well in the middle of your mixture. Pour 1 cup of buttermilk in and stir it all 15 times.
- Flop the dough onto a large piece of floured plastic wrap.
- Fold the plastic wrap over the dough and press down into a 1-inch rectangle. Fold the dough in half again and press it back into a 1-inch rectangle. Repeat folding and pressing 5 more times. This is what creates the flakey layers.
- Dip biscuit cutter into flour before pressing into dough each time. Don't twist on way up.
- Place each raw biscuit on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet, and bake for 15 minutes.
- Brush with butter and enjoy with honey or jam.